Your PC is your private space, where you store your private photos, movies, use them for work or entertainment. In other words, it presents the same type of private space as, for instance, your living-room, where everything is nice and tidy and the way you like it.
This is the area you don’t want anyone else messing around with. You don’t want to end up with settings fully changed, icons reordered, or something similar.
In the previous versions of Windows, such as Windows 7, you had the opportunity to create Guest accounts that allow access to files and programs, yet restrict access to “Settings” and preferences, making your PC surroundings intact. However, nowadays with Windows 10 and previously with Windows 8, this type of functionality is not available, which unfortunately limits your possibilities.
Nonetheless, there is a workaround that will let you create the Guest account and keep your Settings safe and sound, although that function isn’t officially available.
How to Add a Guest Account on Windows 10
If the creation of the Guess Account is what you are looking for, this is what you are required to do:
- First, you have to type “Command Prompt” in the Search Box
and then right-click it, when it appears in the results, and select “Run as administrator”.
- When asked, confirm that you allow this app to make the changes on your computer, by pressing “Yes”. After that, type “net user Visitor /add /active:yes”, in the “Command Prompt” and press “Enter”.
- Then, type “net user Visitor *” and press “Enter”.
- When asked to type in a new password, press “Enter”
and then, when asked to retype it, just press “Enter” once again (this will leave the account without the password) and go to the next step.
- Type “net localgroup users Visitor /delete” in Command Prompt and once again press “Enter”.
- Now, you have deleted the Visitor account from the default Users group and you are required to add the Visitor account to the Guests group, by typing “net localgroup guests Visitor /add” and pressing “Enter”.
- Once you have done that, your new Guest account is created and you can access it by going to “Start”,
left-clicking your account, and then selecting the Visitors account from the menu.